> > Whatever reason is the span there for?  There's nothing you can do with
>that
> > construction that you can't do with just the link.

This is for a horizontal navigation bar centered on the top of the page.

>To add to that, if you want to adjust the vertical alignment within a block
>of text,
>then you are on the right track with vertical-align (CSS property). Try
>using
>a percentage instead of one of the keywords, and see if you can get the
>effect
>you want. You can also use negative percents to drop it below the baseline.
>
>Won't work in IE less than version 6, though. (Or any IE in quirks mode.)

I have the following working satisfactorily in IE non-quirk mode: (no
vertical-align needed for my case)

                <a class="link" href="#">Home</a>
                <a class="link" href="#">Schedule</a>
                <a class="link" href="#">Facilities</a>

body
{
    text-align: center;
}

div#navigation_pane_outer
{
    width: 100%;
}

div#navigation_pane_inner
{
    width: 324px; /* 108 x 3 */

{
    display: block;
    float: left;
    line-height: 35px;
    width: 108px;
    background-image: url(../images/link.jpg);
}

The ugly part is to force <a> to a block. I might as well replace <a> with a
truely block element and change to use scripting to handle the visual cue
change / click, but that would seem overkill for a simple task like this. Is
there a strong opposition to to the way I use <a> above for this task?

By the way, in quirk mode, the above code annoyingly shows an extra "s"
below the three <a>s on a separate line, but it disappears if I increase
div#navigation_pane_inner's width from 324 to 327. Any idea?

Thanks,
Chris