Austin Harris wrote:

> Then do the same for the style sheets.

Yes I know I can do this, but that's slow and tedious: I'd have to do this for
every single JS file, CSS file, foreground *AND* background image, one by one.
Then I'd have to alter every single file one by one to cater for having
rearranged all the files into a single folder, or recreate the file structure
on
disc. All domain and root relative URLs must be altered regardless.

That would be stupid.

Most browsers have a mechanism for saving an intact copy of a page, complete
with all files, but all those I have in Windows are broken. IE appears to be
the
best, but chokes on 404s (Martin's page had two missing stylesheets), Firefox
has no clue what the frak url() means when saving pages, and Opera doesn't
understand how to adjust url() values -- when rewriting the HTML and CSS it
screws up all the url() URIs so that they won't resolve at runtime (such as
having mypage_files/style.css reference "url(mypage_files/foo.png)" which as
you
know, won't resolve: the image URL is in the same folder as the CSS).

> If you are doing this on the legit can't they just give you the files?

Because everyone on this list posts their test pages on the Web, without a zip
file. They, too, would have to rebuild all the files to work from a convenient
location on your hard drive without any domain or root relative URIs or deep
folder structure.

> You have no idea what includes are what and where scripts are etc.

I may not know without a lot of digging, but the BROWSER knows. The page, and
all CSS and JavaScript files, are OPEN in the browser. It knows, but I want a
copy saved, to my hard drive, as it sees them.

I think IE is the only program so far to do it right, as long as there are no
404s. For Martin's Delta Chi page, I've saved it in both Opera and Firefox,
renamed the files and merged the two folders of files, and corrected all of
Opera's broken CSS edits. Now I have a working copy. Trouble is, one of the
flaws of the page within IE went away when I did that. Oops. "Works for me!"