David Hucklesby wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 17:55:38 -0400, brian wrote:
> 
>>I'm working on a site that uses a lot of transparent PNGs for the navigation.
>>Obviously, this requires that i use the AlphaImageLoader filter for IE. 
>>However, i'm
>>struggling to come up with a replacement method that will also ensure that 
>>the links
>>are clickable.
>>
> 
> 
> Hi Brian,
> Do you have, or can you make something to put on a public server
> for us to look at? Just to show us the HTML you use and the effect
> you are trying to achieve?
> 

Right. You can see the design at www.semprinirecords.com

The existing site was created by two other people. Neither of them 
worked out so i was brought in to finish it up (the design is not mine). 
The only thing i've done with this version was to straighten out a few 
things, mostly cleaning up the graphics, which were a disaster, and 
fixing the positioning. The site owners were rushing to go down to South 
by Southwest in Austin last week, so i had to leave it as a table-based 
site, as i only had a couple of days.

> I have found ways around using transparent PNGs altogether for IE 5/6,
> substituting a GIF or JPEG for those browsers, even if the effect is
> not exactly the same as for better browsers.
> 

As you can see, that would be pretty much out of the question unless 
each nav element had a copy for each background. I am *not* going to do 
that. The new version of the site i'm putting together does away with 
tables entirely, and maximises caching of elements. I really don't want 
to have different versions of things for each style. Especially as this 
*is* the 21st century.

> Not sure of your philosophy regarding "graceful degradation," but
> I don't like to dumb down a design just because of IE, especially
> now that far fewer than 90% of visitors use it. And sometimes getting
> it "exactly right" in IE6 can consume your entire budget.
> 

Well, the target audience for this site is pretty net-savvy. I'm not too 
concerned about things like people browsing with images off and the 
like. I have to say, also, that it's been refreshing to set the stryles 
using absolute positioning. I'd forgotten how much simpler it is (my 
usual fare is text-heavy, easily degradable, fluid designs).

brian

______________________________________________________________________
css-discuss [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.css-discuss.org/mailman/listinfo/css-d
IE7 information -- http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=IE7
List wiki/FAQ -- http://css-discuss.incutio.com/
Supported by evolt.org -- http://www.evolt.org/help_support_evolt/

Reply via email to