On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Mauricio Samy Silva wrote:

> David White said:
> "...The point about using numbers (I.e. Hex values) instead of names is
> purely so that there can be no misunderstanding when parsing on the client
> browser. Some browsers render "grey" (for example) differently but if you use
> Hex there can be no ambiguity. ..."

There is no color name "grey" in CSS specifications, so the argument is
relevant to nonstandard color names only, and they were not under
discussion. They are of course to be avoided on the same ground as any
other nonstandard constructs (including color codes without "#" - they too
"work" on some browsers and make the declaration ignored on other,
conforming browsers).

> It makes sense cause sometimes a slightly color difference crashes the
> threshold for contrast.

I don't see how this could be a matter of a slight difference. The name
"grey" is incorrectly recognized as a synonym for "gray" on some browsers,
correctly treated as malformed on some. If there are browsers that accept
it and treat it as denoting something _almost_ identitical to "gray", then
I'd be delighted to hear about such a monstrosity, but this has nothing to
with the difference between "gray" and "#808080", which is no difference.

By the way, if your contrast is so near to the threshold (as defined by
the W3C or some other party) that a _slight_ change makes you cross it,
then you were already too near. Crossing the threshold has an extremely
small impact in such a situation on real accessibility, even if it may
change some technical status by some _measure_ of accessibility.