E Michael Brandt wrote:
> http://www.badboy.ro/articles/2005-02-20/vertical_align_with_css/

> Is there a good solution that works cross browser *without resorting
> to semantically meaningless nested divs* ?

Divs are semantically neutral, which doesn't necessarily equate to
meaningless when used to replicate a table.
A complete CSS table for instance, does need the same number of elements
as an HTML table for it to become reliably working and meaningful, and
the meaning of those nested divs is 'to group and organize according to
table'.

For what we can achieve with CSS vs. HTML table - with workarounds for
some of the less CSS capable browsers, I think this article covers some...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_additions_22.html>
Vertical centering is covered more extensively - with workaround, in a
linked-in article.

I also have a more complex example where CSS works fine, but where
workarounds for some of the less CSS capable browsers are hard to find...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/moa_11i.html>
...but maybe someone has a solution for cases like that too.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no