You're CSS works correctly even in IE 7. What I would recommend you
is to temporary use the JS version on all browsers (i.e. commenting out
the "li:hover" in the CSS and the conditional comments in the HTML).

    Your problems seem to be mainly two:
a) You have an extra margin on your IE 6 version
b) IE 6 ignores the mouse-over once you move out of the link (as if the
LI didn't count at all). I've had this problem before, but I can't
recall how did I sort it out, I'll let you know if I recall how.