Seona Bellamy wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I have a footer, which has a background image. Within the footer I have a
> bunch of links (marked up as a list and floated left) and a copyright notice
> (marked up as a paragraph floated right). In most browsers, this seems to
> work just fine. In Opera 9.21 and Netscape 8.1.3, however, they are falling
> out of the Footer div.
>
> The easiest fix I can think of would be to apply a negative top margin to
> the list and paragraph. But that would involve finding a way to apply that
> fix only to Opera and Netscape. Is there a way to do that? Is this even the
> best way around the problem? I've hunted on positioniseverything.net so no
> avail, and Google isn't helping much either.
>
> I've included the relevant code below, in case it helps anyone.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Seona.

Hi Seona

When you start giving heights to elements in such constructions you will get
many mixed results, especially with IE due to height (and width) being a
hasLayout trigger. The height of the footer can be set in pixels, ems or have
no height given at all. Using vertical padding in the footer (as I have added)
can also be used to create the height of the footer. This you will need to
experiment with yourself using either height, padding or both.

#footer {
        position: relative;
        clear: both;
        margin: 0 auto;
        width: 958px;
        background: url(../images/telstra-footer-tile.gif) top left repeat-x;
        /*height: 40px;    needs testing for best solution */
        /*margin-top:-40px;  delete */
        text-align:right; /* add to align the copyright text */
        padding:10px 0; /* add to give space above and below the child elements
*/
}
#footer #footerlinks {
        padding-left: 10px;
        background: red url(../images/telstra-footer-start.gif) top left
no-repeat;
        list-style: none;
        /*float: left;    delete */
        /*width: 640px;    delete */
        /*height: 30px;    delete */
        margin: 0; /* add */
}
#footer #footerlinks li {
        float: left;
        padding-right: 10px;
        line-height: 30px;
}
#footer #copyright {
        margin: 0;
        padding: 0 10px 0 0;
        background: url(../images/telstra-footer-end.gif) top right no-repeat;
        color: #999999;
        line-height: 200%; /* change to a relative size instead of absolute
size */
        /*float: right;    delete */
        /*width: 295px;    delete */
        /*height: 30px;    delete */
        display:inline; /* add, displays this paragraph which is a block
element as inline */
}

The changes I have made are similar to how my footer and its' contained
elements are styled on my site (link below). I hope this helps.

Kind Regards, Alan

<http://css-class.com>