On 05/10/2007, Philippe Wittenbergh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Given the code snippets you've given (a url with at least a minimal
> demo of the problem would be much more easy !), chances are that the
> text will fall 'out of the box' in my browser, which is not Opera or
> Netscape 8.
> 3 lines of text will not fit in the assigned height of 30~40px.

Good point, especially since reading your comments there I'm guessing that
you think that the links are supposed to appear on separate lines. I've put
a screenshot up at http://www.frontandback.com.au/example/screenshot.gif to
show what it's supposed to look like when everything is working like it
should.

I've put up an example at http://www.frontandback.com.au/example/ with a
minimal set of images (i.e., only the ones needed for the footer). It's also
incorporating the suggestions Alun made, and I'll repeat a bit of my reply
to him, since I just realised I sent it directly to him and not to the list.
:)

------------------------------------
Thanks for this, but I think I still need a little help. I've implemented
the changes you suggested, with a couple of changes:

* I took out the padding you added on #footer because the contents of
#footer each have a background image that caps their end of the footer. With
padding, the caps don't sit where they are supposed to.

* In between sending the code to the list on Friday and now, I had changed
the way #copyright was constructed a little and had to shift some of your
rules around since it's now a <div> with a <p> inside it, instead of just a

* While I haven't actually made this change, the removal of the height and
negative top margin on #footer is potentially going to cause problems,
because I'm using a source-ordered layout I found at
http://www.pmob.co.uk/temp/3colfixedtest_sourcenone.htm and the negative top
margin is required to pull the footer back up if there is less than a
screen's-worth of content.

I've created an example page at http://www.frontandback.com.au/example/ and
just put up the images needed for the footer. You can see what I've got so
far. It's not only not working in Opera, now it's not working in anything
else either. I've tried playing around with it a bit, but I don't understand
what it's doing well enough to do more than change random things and hope
for the best.

I'd be really grateful if you (or anyone else who wants to take a stab at
it) could have a look and tell me what I'm missing.

A few suggestions:
> * remove all specified height.
> * for non IE win browsers, you'll need a clearing element, given that
> your #footer only contains floated elements.

I hadn't thought about the clearing issue. I tried putting some clearing in,
and took the height off #footer. I had to leave the height on some of the
internal elements, since they need to be held open enough for their
background images to display.

The problem still seems to be that in Opera and Netscape, the contents are
falling out of the bottom if the content is more than one screen.

I've figured out what is happening, I just can't seem to fix it. The layout
that I'm using has a negative top margin on #footer so that if the content
is less than a screen it pulls the footer back into view rather than making
you have to scroll for it. It seems to work fine in everything under those
circumstances. However, if the content is longer than a screen, both Opera
and Netscape seem to be pulling it back up without bringing its contents.

This one has me completely stumped.

Cheers,

Seona.