>Rare is the day Opera gets it wrong.
>
>@media screen and (min-width: 0px){
>#foo { padding: ... ;}
>}

This is hardly a long term fix.

Safari 3 (due for release along with the next version of OS X within
the next couple of weeks) will support media queries. To exclude it
(and other browsers using a recent version of WebKit which already do
- iPhone *cough*), you'd need to do:

@media screen and (min-width: 0px){
#foo { padding: ... ;}
:root #foo { padding: <original_value> ;} /* reset Safari 3 */
}
<<<<

But note, even this will break the moment that either Opera supports
:root or the Gecko engine supports media queries. Both of these
outcomes are hardly unlikely.

Opera 8 also supports media queries. Your question said you only
wanted to target the latest version (though whether you mean 9.5a or
9.23 you didn't specify). But Opera 8 certainly isn't the latest
version and would be targeted.
The only hack I know that's been found to distinguish between 8 and 9
is this one

http://thomas.tanreisoftware.com/?p=11#op9
(though he's unaware of the :root hack above)

So revisiting the code snippet, we now have:

@media all and (min-width:0px){
head~body #foo { padding: ... ; } /* Opera 9 */
:root head~body #foo { padding: <original_value> ; } /* reset Safari 3 */
}
<<<<

The same caveats apply though.

It might be more useful to you to actually post the problematic html
and css (or better a link to a page to a page containing it). There
might be a better solution than patching Opera and crossing your
fingers...