Hi all,

     I'm still very low on the learning curve, so thank you in advance for your
patience.

     First let me thank eveyone who responded to my earlier (and first) post to
the list. I ended up going with the Dreamweaver template feature to do the
frames simulation. That's another learning curve to deal with, but it's working
so far.

    Anyway, I'm rebuilding a site that I inherited, and right now I'm stuck on
the menu bar. I want a full-width bar with buttons that change background color
on hover, with drop-downs on some of the buttons, and I'd rather do it with
pure CSS (which I know almost nothing about but am learning fast) rather than
java (which I know Absolutely nothing about).

    I got a great start from Lim Chee Aun at
http://phoenity.com/newtedge/horizontal_nav/ and put this together (internal
style sheet for your convenience):
http://portlandtango.com/exp-9-PTmenu.htm

But I need it to work in IE, and it doesn't, and I am totally clueless about
any hacks that might fix it.

    So then I worked with Patrick Griffith's approach at
http://alistapart.com/articles/dropdowns/
and put this together:
http://portlandtango.com/exp-10c-PTmenu.htm
which worked in IE7 but for all my hair-tearing-out I couldn't figure out how
to make it do what I wanted, that is to look like the exp-9-PTmenu version.

    Any help will be greatly appreciated. A reference to a good tutorial on the
fine points of ul and li would be especially helpful as I am spending hours
fumbling around doing trial and error without much success, and the tutorials
I've found haven't helped. Basically it seems that there are several ways of
attacking the problem, and I just get confused as to the function of some of
the code.

    Thanks,