Actually JS isn't the problem, its abuse and exploitation is.

Could it be made more secure?  Surely, but it isn't in itself the
problem.  I do actually get a little of that "religious" zealousness
feeling from some of the discussion here.

And while we are on it CSS isn't completely passive in this regard, the
file itself can contain information that can be used to explore a
website for avenues of exploitation and abuse.  That doesn't make css
bad, it is just something you should be aware of when you go about
hardening your webserver.

JT