Christian Heilmann wrote:

> Here is the assumption this article made: a drop down menu should work
> regardless of input device and stay on the screen when completely
> expanded without causing scrollbars and thus becoming impossible to
> reach the last items. Anything wrong with that?

> Let's see an application of common sense and find a CSS only menu that
> works with a keyboard and stays on-screen even if there is not enough
> space for it to show more to the left or the bottom.

Hi everyone

I have been following this thread with particular interest but staying in the
background while it bounded in and out of holy war territory. Keyboard
Accessibility with CSS is possible by using the :focus pseudo selector but at
this time, only Firefox and Mozilla (maybe any Netscape compliant) fully
support the :focus property. Opera has a slight problem with focus and grabbing
the submenus.

What I do find frequently on this list is request for help with CSS menus that
have far to many links in them, micro text or little boxes to hover in. You
cannot simply grab some CSS from here, and from there, then add this bit of JS
etc and make it all work. Is this indeed why CSS menus are described as *bad*

Having developed a CSS menu that does all of what Christian has stated
accessibility wise. Now all we can do is wait for other browser vendors to
catch up and if not, add whatever JS is needed to help the other browsers out
with focus. In my demo, I find the vertical version much easier to use.

<http://css-class.com/articles/ursidae/bears5popupv-kbaccess.htm>

1. Use the tab key to access all list items, observing how the submenus open
when a parent anchor is in focus.

2. Notice the added use of the :after selector to add additional guidance.

3. Select any link (pressing enter) and go to a test page and then use the
Alt+left arrow key together to return to the previous page with the same menu
item still in focus.

The normal hover functioning of the menu works in most browsers. Any test with
the Khtml or Webkit browser engines would be appreciated. Regarding full
accessibility at this point in time, I say that this menu is currently one of
the best when javascript is enabled.

<http://www.tjkdesign.com/articles/new_drop_down/default.asp>

What has been overlook in this thread is that maybe "some" users who can only
access a page with a keyboard are using Firefox or similar browsers already. We
as web designers can help with this public awareness of such browsers.

Kind Regards, Alan

<http://css-class.com/>