I seem to recall that at one stage certain versions of Netscape/
Mozilla would not render CSS at all if Javascript was disabled. I
have no idea whether that is still the case with some browsers?

The reality would be that as so many high profile (popular) sites
rely on Javascript for various aspects of functionality, it is just
not practical for the average user to disable it, assuming they even
knew or cared how to. Experience indicates that average users accept
their computers as they come from the shop - rarely doing more than
(if they feel really brave) installing an application or two - but
they'd rather someone else did that for them too ...

The only really "secure" computer is turned off, disconnected from
any network, sealed away in a lead lined box in a concrete bunker,
yadda yadda. Javascript may be a risk in the hands of some, so are
kitchen knives. Hey, it's risky getting up every morning, but some
risks we just learn to live or deal with, whether we like it or not.
Shrug.

Cheers,
KathyW.