Hi all

How crazy the world of hacking CSS is. While working on part of my site on
pages that have the xml prolog preceding the doctype, I was hacking for IE7 and
noticed that Opera was also being targeted. After stripping my stylesheet down
to a few lines, I then removed the xml prolog from the page and found that
Opera was showing as expected and not being targeted anymore. Now having done
some test [1], I find that there are IE7 only targeting hacks, Opera only
targeting hacks and targeting hacks for both browsers when using the xml prolog.

*+html - target IE 7 and Opera 9.10 and 9.24
*~html - target IE 7 and Opera 9.10 and 9.24
*:first-child+html - target IE 7
html:first-child - target Opera 9.10 and 9.24
*+html:first-child - target Opera 9.10 and 9.24

I will be waiting to see what Georg has to say about this dilemma...

[1] <http://css-class.com/test/ie7hacktargetingopera.htm>

Kind Regards, Alan

<http://css-class.com/>