Thanks for the suggestions. I think I've tried some variation of all of them
without success and I fear Davoud may be correct that it isn't possible
without serious hacks, conditionals or scripting. Stu Nichols appears to
have accomplished it with an unordered list (
http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/centered.html) using Alex's approach. I'll
see if that will translate into my layout as soon as I get a moment.

Thierry, I purposely avoided using a list as I didn't feel that it would be
semantically correct. I think a definition list might be, but I fear in the
end I would be facing the same problem (with more markup).

Thanks!
Michael