On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 20:33:08 -0600 (CST), Jeff Gates wrote:
> Page in question: http://inourpath.com/intro.html
>
> I am still having problem with the bottom menu line breaking to a second line
> in IE 6
> and IE7. The "MAP" is breaking to a second line. The menu is in the nav div
> which is
> centered within the bottom_menu div (the bottom_menu div is exactly the width
> of the
> content area (530px). To center the nav div I set the width and made the left
> and right
> margins auto.
>
> I feel the problem might be with the size of the text in IE. I've got the
> menu items
> set at a font size of x-small.
>
> If the problem is because IE is making the size of the text a bit bigger (and
> therefore
> moving the last menu item to a second line) how can I get the menu to have
> some
> breathing room and expand width if it needs to, but still stay centered?

Jeff,
Try changing the width on #nav to a suitable "em" value. In general,
font sizes do not correspond to any particular number of pixels-- only
in particular cases, such as in IE on an OS set to 96 DPI is that so.

FWIW - The menu breaks to two lines in all my browsers this end;
IE and Opera put both "Commentary" and "Maps" on the
second line, probably due to my having "large fonts" installed.

Although you have "frozen" the font-size to 12px in IE, note that
other browsers allow you to boost this value at will, so be sure to
test using browser text size controls.

Cordially,
David