Rick Faircloth wrote:
> Your example below is impressive, Georg, for sure.
>
> But just look at the CSS hoops you had to jump through just to get
> what looks like a simple table.
>
> Why go to so much trouble avoid using <table> ? Just because you can
> or is there a more compelling reason?
>
> I'm relatively new to the CSS scene, so these are sincere questions.

In addition to the reasons I've given in the relevant article...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_additions_22.html>
...it's because...

1: that type of content doesn't fit the description "tabular data", I
just wanted it to appear in a certain way. Its appearance can be changed
and restyled (for different media for instance) without touching the
actual document, which is impossible if a table had been used.

2: one day a version of that MS-excuse for a browser may support the
relevant CSS, and not be in need of proprietary MS-garbage like
IE-expressions for simulating standard CSS.
Maybe IE8 (with an opt-in)...

3: by always pushing and testing what can and can not be done with CSS
today to the limits across browser-land in test-cases like that, I learn
what choices I have and how to make things work whenever I need to for
real-world cases. Such knowledge sure comes handy at times :-)

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no