Thanks all
and Ingo - love the sarcasm - well deserved by me violating semantics so
brazenly

The reason is "that's what the client wants"
I follow standards fairly well in my own little way - but the client and
the cms are my nemeses

<<<there are ways to
> prevent links from _looking_ like links, thereby making it less probable
> that users click on them,>>>

This is proabbly the best to do in my situation
thanks
Neal