This is really a CMS issue.

Even if you *COULD* do this, then you'd have to *UNDO* it once client want's
the link "clickable". From a professional perspective, I'd just tell the
client they're suffering from a concussion! And, do you want someone else to
look at your code and say, "Cutting edge, but WTF! What was he smoking?"

Not knowing what the CMS is, I can't speak to specifics, but open source
CMS' -- e.g., Joomla -- allow you to create menus that do not have "live"
links, by virtue of the different menu entry "types" it provides.

Within the CMS, why can't the client simply define the link as "#", so that
it just "parks" on the current page? This would seem like the most sensible
way to do it, because as another mentioned, your trying to intervene on
functionality, when CSS is meant for display.

<!-- BEGIN: Sarcasm -->

If you do figure this out can you please come over to my house. I have this
nice wooden picket fence, that I want to be maintenance-free vinyl. I don't
want it to LOOK like vinyl, I like the rustic look of the wooden picket.
What I want is that it ACT like vinyl and have the PROPERTIES of vinyl.

<!-- END: Sarcasm -->

That's kind of what you're trying to achieve here!

...Rob