Probably because you need to set the nav up as a <UL>

and declare #menu li a
                  #menu li a:hover
                  #menu li a:active

Take a look at www.virtualtheatreorgans.com
All of the nav tabs are inline rollovers using a combined 3 image .jpg
CSS is at: www.virtualtheatreorgans.com/scripts/stylesheet.css

Regards,

Alan.

www.theatreorgans.co.uk
www.virtualtheatreorgans.com
Admin: ConnArtistes, UKShopsmiths, 2nd Touch & A-P groups
Shopsmith 520 + bits
Flatulus Antiquitus