Gunlaug Sørtun wrote:
> Stephen Carrell wrote:
>> Thanks to everyone who helped and pointed out my off-topic posting. I
>>  appreciate the criticism and am reviewing the guidelines again. I
>> don't see that apologies are off-topic (wink, wink); sorry to bother
>> anyone.
>
> Your question may be off-topic but the solution definitely isn't.
>
> Yes, you can detect a browser's resolution and automatically switch
> styling to suit it, using CSS. It's part of 'CSS3 mediaqueries'...
>
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-mediaqueries/#media0>
>
> Still not a recommended part of the standards, but Opera, Safari and the
> latest Firefox build will work with it and those browsers that don't
> will simply ignore the query and use whatever basic styling you serve to
> all browsers.
>
> I use mediaqueries for this purpose quite regularly, and see no downsides.

Hmmm, I've got to look into that now. Thanks!

> FWIW: I have a feeling that there are more large or at least 'not
> 800x600' screens outside the US than inside. Not that that necessarily
> has anything to do with the size of browser-windows, which is what you
> should query for if you want to "hit home" at the user-end.

Screen resolution doesn't matter. What matters is the size of the
visitor's browser window, effected by any toolbars, sidebars, etc-bars
they might have open. My laptop does 1280x800 resolution, but I never
have my browser open full screen!

--
David
[EMAIL PROTECTED]