-----Original Message-----
What matters is whether the content fits, and that's generally best measured
in something the visitor has and rightfully should have control of - em. If
your content properly fits in a (e.g.) 42em wide window that just happens to
be (e.g.) 800px wide on your screen, then everyone else capable of a window
of 42em or wider should see what you see, and be content with it, regardless
how many px it takes to make it 42em.

--

But will it look good? If I'm on my laptop viewing a page in an 800px window
it will look much different than at home viewing it on my 24" in a 1600px+

In that respect I believe the browser window's size in pixels is the best
measure. But, that's just my opinion...

Mike