To address the original question first:

--- On Thu, 9/18/08, Hedley Finger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Currently, I was using IE 7 just for day-to-day browsing for
> years. Just recently I started to build my website and now have
> installed several browsers for testing.  Is it possible to install
> IE 5.5.x, 6.x, and 7.x on the same box?

So far I've found two pieces of software that can do this. The first one I like
best, but doesn't seem to work on Vista: http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE

Like David said, some of the things in any version you then try, still use the
features of the highest installed version (cookie management for example, I
think??), but overall it's my experience that when I view a page in the "fake"
IE6, it renders it the same as if it were a *REAL* IE6 about 99.5% of the time.

The other one is much buggier but DOES work on Vista:
http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage

This one's still in alpha release, but it does allow you to view pages in IE8
mode as well it seems, without actually having to install the real IE8.

--- On Thu, 9/18/08, David Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Another option is to use VMWare or some other virtual PC
> technology to install and run a virtual Windows PC on your
> existing one, and install the older IE version on it. You can
> have a separate virtual machine for each different browser
> version. Each browser set up this way responds to IE
> conditional comments as its own version.

I'm using Microsoft Virtual PC for this kind of thing, but here's my
problem..... Whenever I start up any virtual machine, I can not seem to access
my standard hard drive (I believe it has to do with security, that a virtual
machine shouldn't be allowed to access the real hard drive or something). Any
files I want to use in the virtual machine have to be either burned on a CD (or
image file), OR I have to go online within the virtual environment. Does
anybody know if it's possible to actually open a browser in my virtual PC and
then just go straight to, say, C:\websites\blabla\index.html ?

mS