On Oct 2, 2008, at 6:44 AM, Erik Harris wrote:

> On 9/30/2008 10:27 PM, Philippe Wittenbergh wrote:
>> Current: you could attach one background image to the html element
>> and
>> one to the body element.
>
> I'd recommend against this.  I haven't tested it on recent browsers,
> but
> when I tried this solution in 2004, it crashed Gecko-based browsers
> hard.  They would max out the CPU and then crash.  It affected all
> Gecko-based browsers at the time, and I believe it affected all
> operating systems, as well (I only personally tested it in
> Firefox/Windows, but others confirmed the behavior).
>
> I don't know if this bug is fixed in current versions of Gecko, but
> enough people use outdated browsers that I wouldn't use it, since the
> same thing can be easily done with <body> and a <div>.

I've used that technique for years (since Gecko 1.0 !, well before
Firefox 1.0 was released) without ever noticing a crash or hang like
that. And recent Gecko versions certainly don't suffer from this.
Occasionally the background-image attached to the <html> element would
not display at all, but that is a different issue.

That said, very large (fixed) background images have a tendency to
slow down scrolling in Gecko browsers, up to the latest releases. But
it doesn't matter if the image is attached to the root element or any
other block.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh