Emanuele Venezia wrote:

> I would like to insert a box with a tile in the middle the top
> border, like the default for the <legend> of a <fieldset>. See
> http://www.biblio.polito.it/boxtitle.html.

> Why IE is almost always the only browser behaving differently?

For some of the cases the answer is simple: IE has different
default-margins. You have to give all browsers the same vertical margins
before positioning them.

I normally organize the headline and bordered wrapper the other way
around - headline above wrapper, give them a uniform line-height, and
then pull up the bottom margin on the headline (in em) so the bordered
wrapper ends up covering a part of the headline.

Then I stack the headline above the bordered wrapper with 'position:
relative; z-index: 1;'.

IE6 in quirks mode needs a lightly different margin-bottom to compensate
for box-model differences, but otherwise IE7 and 6 do fine.

Working example: the right-side navigation in my pages...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/>
...where the various ul contains the borders.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no