Geoff Hoffman wrote:
> Is it that the browsers don't support what the CSS is supposed to do
>  yet?

Internet Explorer doesn't support CSS table at all up to and including
IE7. That is the only reason CSS table can't be used.

IE8 will render CSS tables ok.

> Or am I incorrect in thinking that display:table; display:table-row;
> and display:table-cell; etc., are not supposed to help me layout
> pages...

CSS table _is_ supposed to help you layout pages. No other reasons for
CSS table to be in the spec., as HTML tables are supposed to take take
care of tabular data now and in the future.

> Or am I just a fool for trying?

Until all IE7 and older have been replaced as surfing-tools ... yes :-)

We can't sell clients something that doesn't work at all for 70% of
end-users, so if clients really, really, want table layouts - give them
HTML table layouts.

Not that I think it is difficult to replicate _most_ HTML table layouts
with CSS, but CSS table is not supported well enough to bother with in
regular production - yet. Regular float-based layouts still work best as
table-replacements in _most_ cases.

The only thing CSS table has going for it at the moment, is that it is
easy to turn one into something else, if necessary, without touching the
source-code. The same can be done with an HTML table since nowadays
they're just a set of CSS defaults in browsers anyway, but IE7 and older
still won't play ball.

For now all we can do is to play around with various solutions to
IE/win' lack of support for CSS table...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/moa_11g.html>
...in playgrounds well away from regular clients.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no