> http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=DropCaps
> p:first-letter {
>       font: 2.5em/80% serif;
>       float: left;
>       padding: 0.2ex 0 0 0.2ex;
>       margin: 0;
>       overflow: visible;
> }
> and so I'm just wondering if there's a particular reason why...
> a) 2.5em/80% is specified (ideally, for my own purposes, I'd like to
> change that to 2.6em/38%); and

2.5em is the size of the font in relation to the parent element. In your
example, the first letter of every paragraph on the page would be 2.5
times the height of the font of the paragraph.
80% is the line-height, which does not require a unit, so I usually
write it in decimal form (.8 in this case).

> b) if there's a specific reason for the padding: 0.2ex 0 0 0.2ex;
> i.e. is there some reason why those couldn't just be all set to 0,
> or, alternatively, why I couldn't indent the first letter (and, in
> effect, the first line) a certain number of *px* (not ex)?

Try it:
http://www.w3schools.com/css/tryit.asp?filename=trycss_font

--
<!--