One of the issues that I've been having is with drop caps, and in
looking for a solution I found this page...

http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=DropCaps

...which recommends this code...

p:first-letter {
        font: 2.5em/80% serif;
        float: left;
        padding: 0.2ex 0 0 0.2ex;
        margin: 0;
        overflow: visible;
}

It seems to work great (although I have yet to test in different
browsers/platforms) and I'm hoping that will resolve the issue I was
having (which had to do with the line height screwing up), but I
don't know the history behind how this recommendation was arrived at,
and so I'm just wondering if there's a particular reason why...

a) 2.5em/80% is specified (ideally, for my own purposes, I'd like to
change that to 2.6em/38%); and

b) if there's a specific reason for the padding: 0.2ex 0 0 0.2ex;
i.e. is there some reason why those couldn't just be all set to 0,
or, alternatively, why I couldn't indent the first letter (and, in
effect, the first line) a certain number of *px* (not ex)?

Thanks in advance!

Ron :)

Woof?... http://www.Psymon.com
Ach, du Leni!... http://www.Riefenstahl.org