Hi

@Keith DiSarno: As I say, sample image is much smaller than the one
which I`ll use (I can`t show it because designer is working on it and
I`ve only seen a concept so far). The problem is not only about size
of a one image but also the amount of such images on the page. I know
about 4 banners like that so it will definitely take some time to load
if I use for each banner 2 versions (even as a 1 image file).
The other way to go is to use Javascript and it looks like the most
reasonable option.
I really hate to load second, pretty big, similar image only to change
tiny thing in it when user point it with cursor.

Lets say that one banner is 5KB * 4 = 20KB
With sprites it will take more or less 40KB.
It`s a huge difference to achieve such effect, don`t you think?

Regards,
Mike