I work with major blue-chip companies in the UK, and can say that well
over 90% of our clients would not accept an unsupported IE6. IE6
currently has roughly 20% of the market share of the browser market,
which is around 4-5 times as much as Safari and Opera combined, and only
just shy of Firefox's market share.

Our clients DO compare sites next to each other in different browsers,
and want as similar an experience as possible for people regardless of
which browser they use.

I happen to think that as web designers/developers we have a
responsibility to ensure that our sites are as viewable as possible to
as wide an audience as possible. The fact that 1 in 5 users are using an
inferior browser that we have to work hard to bring up to speed, is
often no more their fault than our own.