Kathy Wheeler wrote:

> Rather than blindly (bad term, I know) accepting the 100% font size,
> wouldn't a better approach be to settle on a font-size that doesn't
> make a client's site look like a kindergarten reader

I'm not sure why one's page should not be better than the crowd in
legibility. But assuming the goal you describe - which is surely what many
people and especially their bosses and clients call for - I'd like to
suggest one particular CSS technique for it.

Leave aside the font-size, as a CSS property, or as a propery of a font, for
a moment. What those people want is not small font size but small letters.
Then you could set, say,

body { font-family: Calibri, Vrinda, sans-serif; }
* { line-height: 1.2; }

At font-size 100%, assuming typical browser defaults, this should result in
a rendering that is acceptable to above-mentioned people. It may look too
small to many people who have not changed browsers from their defaults, but
simple change of font size, even on IE, should help them.

The point is that Calibri and Vrinda have letters that are small with
respect to the font size, so the text looks considerably smaller than, say,
Arial of the same size. Either of these fonts is available on the great
majority of computers, and regarding others, let's hope their sans-serif
pleases the user.

It seems that Vrinda has a large inherent line-height, so setting
line-height explicitly to 1.2 or even to a somewhat smaller value should be
helpful.

The biggest problem might be that Vrinda has a fairly limited character
repertoire (rather few accented characters, though ISO Latin 1 is covered)
and an oddly long hyphen (though the hyphen is clearly shorter than the end
dash). Calibri is much better in these respects, but it's less common.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/