david wrote:

> I don't expect Office 2007 use to establish itself, but that's just
> my opinion.

May well be right. For instance: OpenOffice is officially recommended as
alternative to / upgrade-replacement for MS Office(s) and other
proprietary "office software" in my country.

The bottom line for web designers is that no matter what range of fonts
an end-user may have access to, we can't know what that range is or what
fonts they'll allow/enforce for web sites.

Therefore we can't design with any specific font, or range of fonts, in
mind and expect our choices to get through to end-users. Tough, but
that's life on the web :-)

We should ideally make sure our creations come through in a reasonable
and readable fashion no matter what, which means (among other things)
that it is better, and safer, to size text to what some call "too large"
than to size it too small.

For some reason or another: all systems/browsers have a default of
exactly 100% (of some predefined value(s)), so a font-size of 100% can
be considered "safe". In addition to that we have the WCAG 2
recommendation that our creations "should be able to handle 200% font
resizing and still be readable/accessible", so there's our "safe" range.

Of course: no web designer really has to play it safe, and we're still
free to make up our own math and take our chances. We /may/ hit right
here and there now and then ;-)

regards
        Georg
--