-----Original Message-----
From: Jukka K. Korpela [mailto:jkorp...@cs.tut.fi]
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2009 12:23 PM
To: CSS discuss
Subject: Re: [css-d] Font size dilemma

Leave aside the font-size, as a CSS property, or as a propery of a font, for
a moment. What those people want is not small font size but small letters.
Then you could set, say,

body { font-family: Calibri, Vrinda, sans-serif; }
* { line-height: 1.2; }

The point is that Calibri and Vrinda have letters that are small with
respect to the font size, so the text looks considerably smaller than, say,
Arial of the same size. Either of these fonts is available on the great
majority of computers, and regarding others, let's hope their sans-serif
pleases the user.

--

Working in the Graphic Design field I've seen and heard of a lot of fonts.
Calibri I have but do not have installed all the time and use it maybe a

{font-family: Helvetica, Helvetica55, "Helvetica 55", HelveticaNeue, Helv,
Swiss721, Swiss721BT, Arial, Arial, sans-serif;}
{font-family: Garamond, GarmondITC, "Garamond ITC", ITCGaramond, "ITC
Garamond", Gatineau, serif;}
{font-family: Palatino, PalatinoLinotype, "Palatino Linotype", "Book
Antiqua", PalmSprings, "Palm Springs", serif;}

But I usually only define them as serif or sans-serif. Less worrying that
way...

Your theory is an interesting one, though.

Mike