At 1:22 AM -0400 3/24/09, Donald Davis wrote:

>bottom posting means post after the words of the previous poster, not
>before... just to clarify so the people on the list don't get any more
>upset..

    It does indeed.  However, what the list prefers far more than
bottom- or top-posting is ruthless trimming of quoted material.
Top-posting tends to be more frowned upon not because the response is
in the wrong place (though I personally believe that it is), but
because top-posters are FAR more likely to just leave the entire
quoted message in place, signatures and all.
    Still, I've seen many instances of people quoting an entire
message and then putting a one-line response at the bottom of it all.
This is really no better than doing the same and putting the response
at the top.
    I'm not picking on Donald here, by the way.  I'm simply using his
observation as a launching point for a public reminder that quoted
material should always to be trimmed to the bare minimum needed, and
maybe slightly less than that.  It's more efficient and more
respectful of the other members of the list.
    Thank you.

--
Eric A. Meyer (http://meyerweb.com/eric/), List Chaperone
"CSS is much too interesting and elegant to be not taken seriously."