Hi,

I am not a CSS expert (yet!), so I am calling upon the experts on this list
with a question regarding whether or not a certain design can be
accomplished using CSS.

I have a client who is a professional photographer.  She wants to include a
photo gallery on her website which will display larger images upon hovering
over thumbnails.  I know how to do this, but the problem lies with the
following:

1) She wants a blue background to appear behind the larger images,
preferably with rounded corners and a drop shadow (see the URL below).

2) Some of the larger images will be in portrait mode and some will be in
landscape mode.

The following is a JPG rendering of what she is hoping her site will look
like:

http://www.awbphoto.com/amywisebacis_landscape.jpg

The JPG shows a landscape image with an attractive amount of blue matting
behind it (the bottom of the image with the description will be part of the
photo JPG file, as is the white border of the image).  The problem lies with
the portrait images, centering the images and not having too much blue
background around the portrait images.  I am wondering if it is possible to
vary the size of the blue background using CSS.

I hope I have explained this well and it's not confusing.  What I am
wondering is if I can achieve the desired result using ONLY CSS.  I don't
want the implementation to be too confusing, as the client wants to be able
to post new images and galleries herself using my code as a template.  She
is somewhat knowledgeable about XHTML (she uses Dreamweaver split view) but
not about CSS.  I told her that I would comment my files well and that the
CSS would be in an external file which she would never need to touch.

Any advice or assistance which you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
I don't post much but I learn SO much from reading the posts on this list.

Many thanks,
Debbie