Fantasai,

> > I thought of this, but wondered about there being too much spacing
> around
> > the portrait images with the static blue background image (which
> > would
> be
> > wider in order to accommodate the landscape images).
>
> Why would you use a blue background image? Why not just use a
> background color? It doesn't seem to have a pattern.
>
> img {
>    background: navy;
>    padding: 2em;
>    margin: auto;
> }

I got behind on list messages so I'm just seeing this now.

I wanted to use a blue background color like you suggest, but the client
insists upon having rounded corners and a drop-shadow.  I know this is
possible with CSS3, but it doesn't work in the IE browsers, so it's not a
good solution.

This project has been a major thorn in my side because the client is SO
inflexible.  She won't standardize her photo size (she won't even have the
same size for all portrait images and the same size for all landscape
images), she won't accept the background image on all other site pages and
just color on the gallery pages, and she won't agree to spot the photos
herself with the blue rounded corner drop-shadow background.  This was
supposed to be an easy project, but it has gotten so out of hand...

I am a relatively new designer, so I have taken on some projects which have
been problematic.  I didn't do a contract because this was a friend of a
friend.  I have made many mistakes.  The site is mostly done, but we've been
at a standstill because of her image galleries.

I would LOVE to use your solution and it would be my first choice, but the
client is dead-set on having it the exact way she wanted.  I am close to
cutting this one loose... She talked to someone else (a designer with whom
she used to work) who suggested putting the images in the center of a table
with three rows and three columns and putting images to make up the
background into the other cells.  Sounds very cumbersome and I didn't really
understand, so I put it back on her.  She's going to try to hire this guy to
do that one part of the site.

It's turned into a big mess, a virtual what not to do in the world of web
projects!  I appreciate the advice of this group and your expertise.  No one
was suggesting I do any sort of "hack" and I don't wish to do one!

Thanks to all who responded to my question.  I have learned some great
information to use for future projects.

Kind regards,
Debbie