--- On Wed, 8/26/09, David Robertson <funpackeds...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > On 27/08/2009, at 9:02 AM, tommy_til...@arwb.uscourts.gov
> wrote:
> >
> > > Can you or has anyone ever used CSS to indicate
> > > that a link would take you
> > > outside the current web site? Trying to come up
> > > with some way to let the
> > > user know they are exiting my site.
>
> IIRC it adds padding to the <a> on the right-hand
> side and adds a
> background-image positioned to the right.

This is the canonical way of indicating an external link, but it might also
help to add information to the title attribute to support non-visual clients.

You should also evaluate exactly why you want to indicate this explicitly.
Wikipedia is a good example because the vast majority of links are internal
and, being an encyclopaedia, the external/internal distinction can be quite
significant, and external links may not be obvious. I'm of the opinion that
they overuse this technique though - does each and every link under 'external
links' really need its own icon indicating it's an external link?

Anything's better than opening links in a new window, though :-)