On 2009/08/27 11:35 (GMT-0400) Michael Stevens composed:

> I'm personally of the opinion that the web page should have some form of
> intelligence.

Then it should be intelligent enough to know it's not its own computer or
browser I am using. I'm the one that gets to decide if a new tab or window is
appropriate on my computer. If a page automatically opens a new window
without first warning me that will happen and giving me an alternative
option, I exit them both, never to willingly return, as long as some less
rude alternative exists. With things like banking sites, I change banks, or
grab the new window's URL out of history and open it in a new tab.

> I typically design so that if you stay within the domain you
> stay in the window. If you leave the domain you get a new one so you can
> more easily return to the domain if you get too deep into the new site.

I have no trouble using my browser's history function whenever than turns out
to be necessary. Commonly if I find I've entered a new domain, I hit back,
then open the link in a new tab, preserving the parent tab's lineage.

I generally make my links to offsite look different on hover than onsite
links, easily done with mere CSS, and I often add a tooltip on hover to
highlight that it's offsite.
--
How much better to get wisdom than gold, to choose
understanding rather than silver. Proverbs 16:16 NKJV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/