Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> Eric A. Meyer wrote:
>

>>    There is one non-class approach that's fairly cross-browser
>> friendly, and that's to use a combination of :first-child and
>> adjacent-sibling combinators:
>>
>>    td:first-child + td + td {...styles for third column...}
>>
>> That works in every current browser.  It will fail in IE6, which
>> understands neither :first-child nor adjacent-sibling combinators.
>>

> Those who wish to cover old browsers may consider using a combined strategy
> where you additionally use <col> elements and selectors based on them -
> knowing that they should not work but actually work on some browsers. You
> can normally use the combined strategy so that you just add the suitable
> selectors to a rule like the one above.

For my purposes, needs in this case, being able to set the background
color will fit the bill; it would be nice if font color was valued by
all browsers consistently but seeing that it's not, I can "deal" with
it. Here is a sample which you can view in the browser of your choice,
then compare with the other guy.

Jukka, can you make up a simple example? I'm not sure what you mean by
using the + signs here.

http://dottedi.biz/code/css_styled_table.html (I should call this
unsightly example...)

Thx, Bob