I think the problem is in the understanding of what a sticky footer is.  The
sticky footer on ryanfait.com behaves as a sticky footer, as opposed to a stuck
footer.

If the page is shorter than the window (fits without vertical scrolling), then
the footer is at the bottom of the window.  If the page is longer than the
window (creates vertical scroll), then the footer is at the bottom of the page.

If you check out the CSS-D wiki
[http://css-discuss.incutio.com/wiki/Footer_Info], the stackoverflow solution
is an example of the first type of footer, while the ryanfait solution is an
example of the second.

---Tim