On 2010/06/27 16:57 (GMT+0200) Peter Hammarling composed:

> David, for someone whose contributions here are so consistently
> helpful and well-informed your crusade against Verdana is difficult to
> comprehend, and out of place on this list. Several times I've nearly
> risen to the bait of previous comments but held back 'cos it's nothing
> to do with css. Unfortunately you might even succeed here and there in
> seeding uninformed prejudice against one the most legible sans
> currently available for common use, cross-platform, on the web.

> As a starter:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Carter

As finishers:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html
http://www.zeldman.com/2010/04/18/verdana-pro-and-con-2/

Quoting the latter (you do know who L. Jeffrey Zeldman is, right?):

"Verdana is a font that looks gorgeous at 11px in a non-antialiased
environment, and handsome at 9px and 10px in that same setting. Make it any
bigger than 11px, and it looks _grotesque_. Set it via ems or percentages
rather than pixels—as most accessibility-conscious designers do—and you ding
its perfection. View it in a sub-pixel antialiased environment (i.e. on a
modern platform) and, if it is small enough and near enough to an exact pixel
size, it still looks nice and reads well … but not nearly as nice or as well
as it does in the environment for which it was originally created." (emphasis
supplied)

On my systems, 11px is never a legibly large enough size, so Verdana is never
a good choice, unless grotesque mousetype is a goal, and attractiveness is not.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/