I'd like some feedback on this. I'm teaching a class on web design to students
who've had various levels of training. I'm seeing a number of students mark up
their XHTML with descriptively named DIVs that have no counterpart in the CSS.
Is this some kind of XML holdover or what? Am I missing some coding practice or
method for why this is being done? I don't recommend this because (1) it clogs
up the HTML with useless stuff, and (2) there's potential to break the page if
a DIV isn't closed. If this is an attempt to section/categorize the code,
simple HTML comments will serve the purpose much better.

Any thoughts?

-Tim