Claude Needham wrote:

I have developed a practice of using 100% in the body and then using
em elsewhere to set sizes.

I have vague memories of doing this because the percentage handled a
glitch in one browser or another. Can't recall the details now. Is
this a case of age invented memories, or was there such a
consideration at one time that made the % in body a good idea even if
one had a personal preference for em in the rest of the style sheet?

I don't know whether it might make any difference in practice,
but in theory, using an em before one has selected a font,
weight, shape and size would seem to be putting the cart
before the horse !

** Philip Taylor