tedd wrote:
At 5:42 AM -0700 9/9/10, Claude Needham wrote:

I have vague memories of doing this because the percentage handled a
glitch in one browser or another. Can't recall the details now. Is
this a case of age invented memories, or was there such a
consideration at one time that made the % in body a good idea even if
one had a personal preference for em in the rest of the style sheet?

I have vague memories of that as well -- it was something like:

body
  {
  font-size: 100.1%;
  }

After which, you could set the font size to any unit of measurement you wanted. So, I stand corrected on setting the font size in the body tag using ems.

However, as I see it there are several advantages in using ems, and thus my suggestion.

Cheers,

tedd

For me the advantages of using ems is more when you are restoring vertical margins, less so with font-size.

p {margin: 1em 0;}

There has been many threads on this list. Using this term in Google shows.

em font-size site:http://archivist.incutio.com/viewlist/css-discuss/

This may help you Lalena.

<http://archivist.incutio.com/viewlist/css-discuss/109373>

--