1. Could it be argued that *any* layout (necessitating complex
 absolute/relative positioning, overflows, nested lists, etc),
 carefully built with a thorough knowledge of the Trident box model
 in mind can avoid having to artificially trigger hasLayout?

As co-author of that article and based on years of battling with IE5 - 7 bugs and peculiarities, I'd say it is impossible to avoid triggering hasLayout in/for any real-world layout. No point either, as hasLayout is just a weird, early, overdone and pretty buggy version of "block formatting" that all browsers perform as pr. CSS specs...
<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#block-formatting>
...and without it we can't achieve the formatting we need in all but the most "flat and simple" designs.

 2. Ingo's article repeatedly alludes to the classic MS-proprietary
 CSS zoom:1 trigger being acceptable 'for debug purposes'...

zoom: 1 is good for debugging since it gets picked up by the W3C CSS validator if we forget that we put them there :-) Not all front-end coders like to have non-valid code in their stylesheets - they may like "valid" badges or whatever, so for them any of the other "valid properties" that will trigger hasLayout may look better.

Myself, I use any property/value that gets the job done, whenever I need to trigger hasLayout. Loss of "validity" because of proprietary IE CSS isn't more problematic than use of some "mos-", "webkit-" or "o-" proprietary CSS ... IMO. Some time more of a problem to avoid hasLayout - as touched on under your point 1, so in rare cases we have to hide hasLayout triggers from older IE versions or try to override/reset them. Finding out where to do what in a given layout is what sometimes consumes a bit more time than I like.

regards
        Georg