Just a few afterthoughts…

On 3 June 2011 00:47, Philippe Wittenbergh <e...@l-c-n.com> wrote:

>  > What about Google:
> >
> > <http://www.google.com/webfonts>
>
> Some are better than others, but most are known to display poorly on Win
> XP. This has come up a few times in the past on this list.

Just to qualify that, Google's service occasionally provides very bad
response time, and is also known to serve faulty character sets in EOT
format, leaving out entire typefaces for IE [1].

The pertinent thing with Google's service is that they are offering free
fonts — and apart from debatable convenience, there is nothing exclusive to
their offering — and certainly in my opinion there is no good reason why you
would use their buggy and unreliable service when there's nothing stopping
you from hosting those fonts and writing/copying the code yourself.

fontsquirrel.com is by far the best full-service resource for free, open
rights web fonts. As well as having a huge collection of popular free fonts,
it offers highly customisable font-face kits that provide all the necessary
code complete with the latest compatibility techniques, along with all the
font files themselves [2]. It also allows you to create multi-format
font-face kits from fonts of your own choosing via single-format upload [3]
— when combined with other resources for free fonts [4], this allows you to
be far more independent with your solution and avoids third-party API calls.

On 3 June 2011 00:47, Philippe Wittenbergh <e...@l-c-n.com> wrote:

> …as always, test. and test, and test.
> (did I say test ?)

Can't emphasise this enough. Competing third parties for a trendy service
will always try to tell you their offering is best, but you should always
make sure your embedded font solution is readable across sizes and
platforms. You can never be sure until you see it with your own eyes!

[1] http://readableweb.com/google-fonts-failing-for-internet-explorer-users/
[2] http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fontface
[3] http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fontface/generator
[4] http://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/, http://openfontlibrary.org/