On 4/06/2011 1:46 PM, Andrew C. Johnston wrote:
Hi All:

In working on a new template, I noticed something about borders that
I find to be very limiting, and wonder if anyone thinks there will be
improvement in the future.

I do not play a real designer on tv or in real life, but I have come
to like ridged, grooved, inset/outset borders, which have two colors
to them. Don't laugh at me, they are cool!  I don't care what anyone
else says.

Anyways I was trying to get the look I wanted recently and found that
the darker part of the border was too dark.  For all of these types
of borders, I can select the color I want, and the computer uses some
sort of function or algorithm to determine the color of the darker
part (maybe this process can be reversed in some cases, where the
user determines the darker color and the function chooses the lighter
color, but its the same basic process).
[snip]
Am I wrong about this?  Am I missing something?  Or can I dream of
the day when my control of webpages is just a little more complete?

Kind Rgrds,

Andrew

No, you don't have to wait. Try this test and the algorithm will make sense.

<!doctype html>

#box {
  float: left;
  overflow: hidden;
  margin: 20px;
  background: rgb(0,0,255); /* blue */
  border: 10px inset rgb(0,0,255); /* blue */
}
div div {
  width: 90px;
  height: 90px;
  margin: 1px;
  border-top: 10px solid rgb(0,0,179);
  border-left: 10px solid rgb(0,0,179);
  border-bottom: 10px solid rgb(127,127,255);
  border-right: 10px solid rgb(127,127,255);
}

--
Alan Gresley
http://css-3d.org/