On 27.08.2011 01:37, John wrote:
[...] I am not sure where, but somebody said that position: was the way to go...

"Position" is fine ... once you master the various variants and all combinations.

one of these days, I will know what I'm doing with this stuff...

I am sure you will. Until then, and maybe even after, try adding a test-style like the following while designing...

* {outline:red solid 1px;}

...so you know what space the various elements occupy. Much easier to tune any layout then, and the test-style is easy to find and remove once you are happy with your design.

regards
        Georg