Browser preference. Most browsers now-a-days zoom the entire site (layout,
graphics and all) not just text. I know in FF you can specify text only
zoom. Apple looks to use JS or CSS transitions to scale up some layout
elements as well.

The line break due to font-rendering differences in different browsers could
be resolved with white-space:nowrap;. Check if browser support meets your
needs.

Kevin