On Oct 27, 2011, at 8:28 AM, John wrote:

>> The H1 also breaks in Firefox because, like many people, I use a
>>  larger font-size than you do: <http://b.cfaj.ca/coffeeonmars.jpeg>.
>
> OK..well, how does a site like Apple.com prevent the local browser's font
> size setting from altering the type on their page. *and I am talking about
> actual, "live" type, and not the type on their site that's raster graphics.
>
> if you zoom on the apple.com page, everything gets bigger together.
>
> what's the trick to doing that? Is this something members on this list do for
> their pages to preserve the type relationships regardless of what the end
> user does with their browser?

How do you zoom in on Apple's site ? 'page zoom' or 'text zoom' ? Safari,
Camino, Firefox have options to do either one; with 'text zoom', only the text
changes size as the user zooms in / out (and text may wrap depending on
available space).

Another user configuration is the 'minimum font-size' setting (Opera, Chrome,
Safari, Camino Opera), or a larger / smaller default font size.

If you really want your layout to scale based on user font-sizes, then never
use 'px', but set width, margin, padding, etc in 'em' units.

Philippe
--
Philippe Wittenbergh
http://l-c-n.com/